Yesterday, Mayor Eric Garcetti released a set of directives to protect the public and slow the spread of novel coronavirus. You can read the directives here. In line with these directives, at LAWA we will be implementing new rules regarding meetings. These guidelines will be in place at least through and including Sunday, April 5, 2020, and apply to all employees at LAWA, both at LAX and VNY.
LAWA Directive on Meetings:
- In-person meetings, with other LAWA employees or external partners, should instead be held via conference call or WebEx, unless there is a compelling need for an in-person meeting. (Please contact your supervisor if you need access to the WebEx platform.)
- If you believe you must hold a meeting in person, contact your Deputy Executive Director (DED) for an exemption. Your DED will then take the request to our COVID-19 Task Force.
- All departmental meetings or staff meetings must be held via conference call or canceled.
- LAWA employees and contractors are asked to stay at their assigned work locations (e.g., Admin East, Admin West, Trailers, Skyview) and not travel to other LAWA offices for meetings.
- If an in-person meeting (with fewer than 50 people) does happen after a grant of exemption, ensure a large enough space that participants can distance themselves from one another and ensure you are reminding everyone to use best practices to reduce the spread of germs.
- Under no circumstances may you hold in-person meetings with more than 50 people.
- All LAWA-hosted tours and events will be canceled or transitioned to conference calls or WebEx.
- Avoid all off-site in-person meetings and events. Rather, request a call-in number.
- If you feel you must attend a meeting and there is no call-in number available, you must get permission from your DED to attend.
- All LAWA trainings will be transitioned to online or WebEx trainings.
- Consistent with the policy directive from Mayor Garcetti regarding city buildings, no visitors will be allowed into LAWA’s administrative buildings (including Admin East, Admin West, Skyview, trailers, etc.) for meetings unless approved in writing in advance by a DED.
- No travel will be allowed (even if already paid for) for LAWA business.
- Do not come to work if you are sick.
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, or use hand sanitizer with 60% alcohol content when water and soap is not available.
- Avoid contact with others – handshakes, fist bumps, hugs, etc.
- Practice social distancing and stay at least six feet away from others when possible.
Best Practices During Personal Time:
- Avoid going to gatherings of more than 50 people.
- Practice social distancing.
- Avoid non-essential travel.
- Per the Governor Newson’s Executive Order (information here), gatherings of individuals who are at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 should be limited to no more than 10 people, while also following social distancing guidelines.
These are extraordinary circumstances, calling for extraordinary measures. I am counting on all of you to adhere to these guidelines so we can play our part in reducing the spread of germs. Please let your supervisor or DED know if you have questions. I will be sharing additional guidance regarding an emergency telework policy later today.
Interim CEO, LAWA